lauantai 5. huhtikuuta 2014

It's a man's world

I'm so frustrated with being a woman in Russia. It feels like the whole country is being run by some kind of Men's Club where I have no access to.

As a woman in Russia I'm ignored constantly. While men shake their hands when they meet, I'm lucky if I get a polite nod. It doesn't matter who knows who the best, guys get the handshakes. It's becoming obvious it's impossible for me to be friends with Russian men. If I pay a lot of attention to a Russian guy, I'm automatically assumed to be interested in him. Apparently guys and girls just can't be close friends. I've realised I have to be careful with that, not to make any girls think I'm after their boyfriends and so on.

I've also been observing how people go out. It's always just girls, just guys or couples together that go out. It's almost never just a group of friends consisting of guys and girls. I asked a girl if we could meet with her boyfriend and hang out as the three of us. She was wondering why on earth I'd want that. I feel like people are missing out on so much when the other sex is just ignored as potential friends. 

The roles of the sexes are very traditional. Most women her are so modest and so frigging proper. I mean come on, let your hair out and live a little. Girls in relationships seem so clingy and getting married young is a high priority.

Some cultural relativist could maybe help me cope with this. I do realise that I come from a country where the sexes are much more equal than in probably most other countries in the world. Most people here probably see nothing wrong with this system and are happy with their part. This is the western girl talking but she is just so annoyed with this right now!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti